Day 11, Photo 11

Wednesdays are my day off.  My husband and I decided to have, and were accidentally blessed (in one case), with three children, pretty much right in a row.  I became pregnant with our second child when Max was only 6 months old.  We decided to have a third child when Ryann was about 18 months old.  Thus, when our youngest was born, we had a 3 and a half year old, a 2 year old, and a newborn.  At that time, Wednesdays off sometimes felt like a blessing and sometimes like a curse.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have NO clue how stay-at-home moms, especially stay-at-home moms with many small children do it. 

The years have passed quickly and my babies are now 7, nearly 6, and nearly 4.  My Wednesdays used to look something like this (from what I vaguely remember):

Wake up at about 6:00 a.m. to three ravenously hungry children, one of which needed to be fed directly from my body and most of whom had likely soiled themselves and needed diaper changes.  Change diapers.  Attempt to feed the infant, sometimes holding said infant with one hand while pouring bowls of cereal for the other two starvlings with the other hand.

Figure out how to entertain a preschooler, a toddler, and a newborn until it was time to schlepp all three beings to preschool to drop the preschooler off.  There was usually some TV involved.  There was usually some angst involved during drop off and pick up times because invariably, the infant decided that preschool pick up and drop off times were perfect napping opportunities.

I think there was a period of a few months where we'd get home from preschool, eat lunch, and all three kids would rest/sleep for a little while at the same time.  This was pure Heaven.  I remember watching a lot of DVR'ed American Idol episodes.

After naps, there were another few hours of figuring out how to keep all children occupied without them damaging themselves, each other, or the house. 

Then, I'd start dinner and scream "Hallelujah!" when Stu walked in the door.

Now my Wednesdays are completely different....and oh so lovely....for now.  The seasons are always changing, right?  But as of right now, our Wednesdays look like this:

Get out of bed at about 6:15 when Stu leaves for work - the kids are already at the table eating their breakfast that Stu got started for them.  I brush my teeth.  Sometimes I check my e-mail and/or Facebook.  The kids finish eating, clear their plates, and Max and Ryann get dressed and brush their teeth and hair.  I assist Adam in dressing and he brushes his own teeth.  We all get in the car at about 7:10 to drive Max down the street to where the bus picks him up.  Ryann, Adam, and I return home.  They are instructed to entertain themselves in the basement while I walk on the treadmill and read for 20 minutes.  Then, Ryann and Adam have a snack and watch TV while I shower, dress, put on my make-up, and dry my hair.  Then we play, read books, clean up, do some laundry, etc. until about 10:15.  I make our early lunch since Ryann's bus picks her up for Kindergarten at 11:16.  Adam and I drop her off at the same bus stop where we'd dropped Max off earlier in the morning.  Adam and I used to go to the library while Ryann was at preschool last year but this year, I decided (and it's been a great decision), to use our time visiting my grandparents at their home.  My dad's parents are in their 80's and are starting to slow way down but are still able to live in their own house.  A few years ago, my aunt sold her house and moved in with them which helps, but she works full time and then some so much of the time, Grandma and Grandpa are housebound (neither can drive anymore) and alone.  All of us look forward to the special time we have together on Wednesdays.  Adam is spoiled and gets to eat Lorna Doone cookies and play on the iPad while I chat with Grandma and Grandpa.  Grandma and Grandpa get some company and sometimes we go out and about so they can get out of the house.  I nearly always leave their house with a deep sense of peace.  Grandma is so full of wisdom and love and understanding, it's calming just to be in her presence and to receive her emphatic hug upon our departure.

My photo today was taken when I asked Adam to sit on Grandma's lap so I could get a shot of them together.  Grandma kept trying to get Adam to look at me and smile but what I really wanted was a candid photo of the two of them and I think I ended up with a great shot.  I would have included Grandpa in the picture but he was in his jammies and I didn't want to embarrass him.

Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
That is cute! It looks great in black and white too! I want you camera lens!!!!
I love this photo!!!

I miss my Grandma and wish my kids would have known her. You are right to spend all the time you can with your grandparents. I don't have any left.
Chris said…
This picture is magnificent! Grandparents are a treasure -- and now I miss mine :)

Popular Posts