Day 13, Photo 13

This is my bathroom mirror.  No matter how often I clean it, it's constantly covered in flecks, smears, and globs.  Never before has actual art appeared on it.  This is something new. 

I feel like I'm constantly either learning new things or being humorously reminded of things about parenting and children these days, just one of which is that children (at least mine) cannot seem to brush their teeth without flinging particulate all over the mirror, leaving globs of toothpaste all over the sink and counter, and cannot seem to figure out how to properly rinse their toothbrushes and put them back in the proper place when they are finished.  Seriously, their toothbrushes are disgusting and very likely a serious health hazard.

Another fact about young children is that as much as you try to instill empathy and compassion in them, they don't care one fig about anyone but themselves.  Just this evening, Adam somehow tripped (after only walking two steps) and his body fell into mine.  His head and hands rammed into my very low torso.  I made an unlady-like "oomph" sound and some particulate flew from my mouth.  Stu burst out laughing.  And Adam?  Adam reassured us he was ok and hadn't stubbed his toe.  No thought for whether or not Mom's gut was damaged.

Interestingly enough, Max is coming home from school with schoolyard rhymes that I remember my sister and I learning 25-odd years ago.  For example - he told me he could count to 100 in just a couple seconds and then, like an auctioneer, called, "1, 2, skip a few, 99, 100!!!!"  I'm learning some new ones though.  He chose to share some rhyme about "So-and-so farted and a fire started" at the dinner table last night.

We really do try hard to keep the language extra clean around the Stewart house.  But the three year old let out a three year old swear tonight.  He must have gotten something in his eye because he was suddenly clutching at his glasses and screaming, "My eye hurts!!!"  I asked Stu to grab some natural tears eyedrops (which Adam HATES) and Adam leaned his head back and howled, "Daaaaaanggggg iiiitttt!"  I was so shocked, I admit I laughed.

Finally, children cannot get enough of bathroom talk.  EVERYTHING is about butts, farts, toots, poop, pee, and every combination thereof.  Again, I have to admit that sometimes it is hard not to laugh at the things they come up with.

Comments

Grammie Pammie said…
I'm so happy the stories have returned to accompany the pictures!!!!! Love it!!!
Chris said…
HA! I have no idea why kids are so infatuated with bathroom humor, but it's universal (except for me -- I never was...but I'm a little weird :)

I think maybe your bathroom is haunted by a very silly ghost...

Popular Posts