Wednesdays are fun/ny days...Wednesdays are exhausting days

I am blessed in that I work part-time, allowing me to be home one day a week with my three lovely babes. I would never look a gift horse in the mouth; however, by the end of a typical Wednesday, I wonder what kind of a mixed blessing working part-time really is. Maybe I don't do this "stay at home mom" part time bit correctly. Maybe full time stay at home moms have some tips and tricks that I'm not aware of. I spend each Wednesday frantically trying to do a few quick chores (i.e. sweep the small kitchen, clean only the toilet because there's no time for the whole bathroom, empty the dishwasher and start a load of laundry), feed the children, clothe said children, entertain said children, attempt (valiantly, may I say) to pick up after said children and get them to help pick up some, make everyday moments into learning opportunities, shuttle to preschool, referee fights, play Barbies, play dress up, play Star Wars, play Uno, play Memory, monitor the amount of screen time everyone has, set the timer on the oven for time outs in the corner, try so hard not to raise my voice that sometimes my throat aches after awhile, laugh until my sides ache, and then try not to be a complete crab when my exhausted husband drags his carcass through the front door at 6:30 p.m. after teaching high school students since 7:00 a.m. and then attempting to coach a portion of said high school students in the fine art of football, after school gets out. I tend to rate Wednesdays in my mind at the end of the day. The days seem to range from nearly all-out horrible to pleasantly pleasant. Today was nearer to pleasantly pleasant than all-out horrible.


Exhibit A (pleasant): We were on time to drop Ryann off for preschool and Max and Adam were pleasantly agreeable when it was time to leave and get back out to the van. An added bonus: I'd said we'd go to the library but when we arrived, I realized it did not open for another 45 minutes. I told Max we'd have to skip it and, glory be, no screaming hysterics!


Exhibit B (horrible and pleasant): Max was at the top of our plastic slide in the backyard when I lifted my hand to both of our eye levels to show him the daddy long legs spider sitting on my hand. I inhaled to gently blow the spider from my hand and was shocked (and let out a very unlady-like bellow) when I was walloped across the cheek by a 4 and a half year old hand. I then bellowed, "MAX!" and then felt extreme guilt when I saw the equally shocked look on his face and heard him quickly exclaim, "I'm so sorry mommy! I was just trying to get the spider off for you!" Then my shock turned to disgust and I hopped around a little and asked Max, "Is it smooshed on my face?! Is it on my face anywhere?!" Then we both started to laugh and he said, "No mom, I don't see it anywhere".


Exhibit C (horrible): Unfortunately, the face-slapping continued later in the day when Max and Ryann were arguing over whether the blanket Max had just dragged from his room should serve as a bed for Ryann to sleep on in the fort I'd built for them in the living room or if it should serve as a front door. Max became fed up with arguing and resorted to open hand slapping Ryann across the face. She had the five finger mark to prove his guilt. He was not allowed inside the fort for 10 minutes and spent said 10 minutes screaming in his room as if he were in agonizing pain.




Exhibit D (pleasant): While just about to serve supper, three year old Ryann pranced into the kitchen and announced, "Everyone line up here!" and jabbed her finger towards the mat in front of the door that leads to the garage. She then proceeded to insert her first two fingers and her thumb into her mouth, bend forward at the waist and make a "eeeee-eee" sound while thrusting her upper body forward for emphasis on each of the two "e" sounds. (Can you picture it? I don't know where she saw it but it was an absolutely perfect imitation of someone sticking their fingers in their mouth to whistle loudly to gain a crowd's attention). My jaw dropped at that one. I guffawed (Ryann gave me an insulted look about my loud laughing) and then marched over to my indicated spot on the mat.


Exhibit E (horrible...and headache inducing): Sixteen and a half month old Adam spent at least 40% of the day whining, crying and cavetching for an unknown reason (this is a lot for him; he's a typical 3rd child who usually hasn't a care in the world and entertains himself quite readily).


Exhibit F (pleasant): While in the bathtub, Adam shed not a tear; instead, he belly laughed the entire time. He was doing this hilarious move where he'd carefully lie down on his stomach, roll to his back and then hoot softly because his ears were under the water and I'm sure it sounds cool. Then he would vigorously flap his arms and kick his legs and laugh uproariously. Finally, he'd lift his legs all the way up until his heels were at about chin level and then SLAM his legs down into the water and then - more uproarious laughing (from both of us).



Conclusion - Not all-out horrible....not entirely pleasantly pleasant.



Here's a sweet picture of all 3 Stewart kids eating (pleasantly) at our new picnic table, last week.


Comments

Popular Posts