Chugging along

We had a very full day around here today.  Thank goodness Stu had previously planned to take this day off to help me out since it would have been my first full day with all three kids home together since Adam's surgery.  He didn't want me to have to take that on alone.  The day was only supposed to be comprised of the usual - Max going to Kindergarten at 11:00 and Ryann going to preschool at 1:00 and then Adam's second post-op follow up at 1:45; however, Murphy's Law was enacted and Ryann came down with what appeared to be pinkeye and an ear infection last night.  As such, I called the pediatrician to see if we could change her previously scheduled 5 year well child check up from what was supposed to be tomorrow to this morning.  We got in and learned that not only did she have pinkeye and an ear infection, she had pinkeye and two ear infections.  Poor thing is feeling pretty miserable tonight because she also got shots in both arms.  I felt like Florence Nightingale tonight with both Ryann and Adam laid out before me on the living room floor as I administered eye drops and oral antibiotics.  We also learned at Ryann's appointment that she weighs 44.4 pounds (75th percentile) and is 44.5 inches tall (80th percentile).

Adam's follow up went exceedingly well.  He was not very cooperative about saying what he could see so we're still not 100% sure how well he can see but the fact that he can see out of his right eye is what is most important at this point.  Dr. B. said that Adam's eye looked very, very good and that we can stop giving antibiotic drops this Friday and stop giving dilating drops a week from today.  Also, we can cut back on the steroid drops from six a day to four a day, starting this Friday.  And the patch can come off on March 10th!  We have a one month follow up on April 4th at which time we'll likely schedule the surgery for Adam's left eye.  One blessing in having bilateral cataracts (and bilateral cataracts that were of different density) is that now that Adam's previously practically-blind right eye can see, the brain needs practice using that eye as much as the better-seeing left eye.  If Adam did not have a cataract in his left eye, we would probably be placing a patch over that left eye to strengthen the right eye.  Since the cataract is resulting in a "natural patch" on that left eye, this should help strengthen Adam's right eye.  Funny to think of such a thing as a blessing but you have to take them where you can, right?  We'll also discuss at the one-month follow up whether Adam should start wearing glasses right then or wait until after the left eye is operated on.  I am NOT looking forward to having to go through all this again but I must say that one week has flown by.  And things are feeling so much more comfortable and ok now; I think the second week will fly by as well.  And now we know exactly what we're in for (pretty much) for the second surgery.

I can't leave Max out just because he's the healthy guy around here - I have to note that lately he's been such a BIG boy.  He seems older than 6 and is acting very mature and helpful.  The other day, I had to pick him up early from Deanna's.  I wasn't able to get through to her to give her a heads up and six months ago, that would have been a recipe for disaster.  Max would have had a huge meltdown because his schedule was messed with and he was having to leave in the middle of having fun.  This day, I walked in and apologized to Deanna that I was there early but we really had to leave ASAP since Max had hockey practice that early evening.  She got a look on her face like "Uh-oh" and told me he'd just started playing on the computer.  She went to get him and I heard him say, "Oh, yeah, I have hockey.  Ok, I can play more when I come back on Thursday." And that was that!  He got his jacket and boots on and scooted out the door with nary a complaint.  Wow!

Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
Well I'm guessing that Hockey is Max's calling then! LoL

Popular Posts