Respite

I have worked for the same company for 8 and a half years now, since a few months after graduating from college. My husband and I laughed, last night, in fact about my naive and "ballsy" move of asking for a nearly three month delay until my official start date after I was hired.  I applied for a Customer Service position at a medical device company in the spring of my last semester of college.  I was offered the full time position immediately but explained to the manager that I would not graduate from college until May and that I hoped to take a month off prior to embarking on my journey into the work-a-day world which would likely last for the next 40 years or so.  To my now older and more seasoned amazement (but to my youthful satisfaction at the time), the manager agreed and though I was hired in late March, my start date was not until July 1st.  Stu and I remarked to each other that an agreement like that would never be made in this day and age with so many people clamoring for jobs.  If an applicant isn't willing to start immediately, I'm sure there are 5 more people in line behind them, more than willing to.

Anyway, I'm off track from what I was going to write about.  Since my July 1st, 2001 start date I have thoroughly enjoyed working for my medical device company.  I worked very hard, learned quickly and after a year, applied for and was promoted to "Group Lead" in Customer Service.  One year after that, I applied for another promotion in a different department and have worked in the Post Market Quality Assurance department as an Event Analyst since then.  There have certainly been days in the past 8 and a half years that have been stressful and resulted in my being crabby but, honestly, they have been few and far between.  I have prided myself on having a sunny and positive attitude most of the time at work.  I enjoy what I do and who I work with.  Lately, though, I have had more and more crabby days at work.  And I don't like it.  That's not who I am.  Luckily, I am blessed to have a good job with plenty of vacation days and an understanding manager.  Also, a wonderful and caring daycare provider.  And the icing on the cake: a patient and devoted husband.  Add all those together and I decided to take a vacation day today.  A real "mom"-type vacation.  I took the day off from work but still dropped the kids at daycare this morning.  I stopped at McDonald's to rent myself a movie from the Red Box and, of course, ended up buying myself an egg McMuffin for breakfast.  It is 1:22 in the afternoon and so far, I've finished reading "The Lost Symbol", watched "District 9", thrown in one load of laundry, and am in the middle of "The Hour I First Believed".  My goal was to finish both books today but "The Hour" is a little depressing so I had to take a break.  I plan to get back to work on Monday refreshed and renewed with my head on straight and my attitude readjusted.  We all need a respite now and then.

Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
I concur... wish I had a better work place... =o\ I could have used the day off, yuck it sucked!
Jenna said…
my mom calls these "mental health days" hah.

Popular Posts