Adam Update

I promised an Adam update a while ago when I posted this photo of him waiting in the eye surgeon's office:

We were waiting to see someone at his surgeon's office because Adam had been rubbing and rubbing his eyes again (he was doing that a lot last Fall, too).  We were fairly certain it was just allergies again but we were advised to bring him in, just in case.  Since our appointment was a "squeeze in" appointment, I was prepared to wait hours to be seen.  We only waited about 4 minutes!  The resident we saw was amazingly sweet and knowledgeable.  She thoroughly checked Adam's eyes and vision and complimented him on being such a smart and cooperative little guy.  She said he's seeing very well and that the eye rubbing was definitely due to seasonal allergies.  When I told her he'd been sick and developed an ear infection about a week prior, and that during that pediatric appointment I'd mentioned the eye rubbing to a pediatrician, the resident finished my sentence for me!  I started, "The pediatrician really frightened me because she said I definitely needed to get Adam to stop rubbing his eyes so frequently..." and the resident continued, "Because she was worried he'd displace the IOLs?"  And I gasped, "Yes!  Can that happen?!  I've been so worried."  She calmly reassured me that since it has been a year now since his IOLs were implanted, it would be HIGHLY unlikely that he could displace them from rubbing his eyes.  But she did explain that rubbing hard and often could cause other things like deformation of the corneas (or something like that) so Adam was prescribed a good (and so far effective) allergy eyedrop called Patanol.  He gets a drop in each eye once in the morning and once in the evening and also takes a daily dose of children's Zyrtec.  All of this seems to be helping.  He rarely rubs his eyes anymore and seems less drippy-nosed, too.

Comments

Popular Posts