Loving letter to my lovely little lady

Dear Ryann,

My heart swells with pride at what a wonderful little girl you are growing up to be.  Recently, you have shown a maturity so way beyond your years, it almost breaks my heart.  This week, you started at a new preschool.  Dad and I chose it for you because we thought it was more structured and provided more learning opportunities for you than your last preschool.  We adored your previous preschool teachers and they loved you so much, they were really quite upset when we let them know you were leaving (between us and you - they said you were one of the best students they've ever had, that you were an angel on earth).  Because of this, I was quite emotional about the switch.  I felt guilty about leaving your wonderful teachers, Ms. Bonnie, Ms. Janie, and Ms. Dyna and a little guilty for moving you to a new school in the middle of the school year.  We decided you would start at your new school after the Christmas break so the change would seem more seamless.  Even so, my stomach was in knots on your first day.  Since I don't do well with change, I was nervous on my own behalf and I was very nervous that you might be nervous.  I thought you might have the same difficulty with change that I do.  Boy did you prove me wrong.  You never said one word about being nervous or scared.  In fact, we arrived at the new school and walked hand-in-hand through the front door, at which point you let go of my hand and moved a few steps in front of me and glanced back, saying, "Follow me, Mommy! I'll show you where my new classroom is so you'll bemember!"  You seemed a tiny bit nervous after putting your backpack, coat, and boots away in your new cubby and entering the classroom but when I came to pick you up 2 hours and 45 minutes later, you were grinning from ear to ear and were ready to come back the next preschool day (Wednesday).

Your new teacher, Mrs. Spraig (sp?) has a quite noticeable (and actually it is kind of attractive on her because she has such a naturally beautiful, happy face) strawberry birthmark on her upper cheek.  Tonight, during your bath after I asked you if you liked your new teachers, you said, "I wonder why Mrs. Spraig has that owie on her cheek?"  I responded, "Oh, I actually think that's a birthmark.  She was born with that there and will always have it.....did you ask her about it?"  You looked aghast and said, "No!  I wouldn't want to embarrass her!  She might feel bad."  For someone so fresh to the world, not even five years old yet, you have such empathy for others (most of the time ;) ), it takes my breath away.  You told Dad and me that your New Year's resolution this year was to be nice more often but I don't think that's possible.  You are the nicest little girl I know!  And that is not a biased statement :)

Comments

Popular Posts