Sporty Snippets

It's never too early to celebrate a little success, right?!  Each year I dread football season because I feel like I become a single parent overnight.  I was raised by a single parent and somehow my mom managed it (with lots of help from my dad and grandparents) and I knew it seemed tough.  I didn't realize how tough until I'd done it myself.  Stu's schedule looks like this during football season:

Monday - leave the house by 6:30 to arrive at school in time for first hour, stay for practice and get home by about 6:00 or 6:30
Tuesday - same schedule as Monday
Wednesday - same schedule as Monday
Thursday - similar schedule as Monday but sometimes home late if he attends the carboload or a 9th/10th grade game that night
Friday - leave the house by 6:30, arrive home between 2:00 and 2:30 in the morning after the Friday night game and then watching film at the head coach's house afterward.  I think my mom and probably others think I'm crazy that I try to drag the kids to most games but it gives me something to do besides sit home by myself and miss Stu and feel like a loser on a Friday night.  Plus, if I've been to the game, it gives Stu and I more to talk about together that weekend
Saturday - leave the house by 7:00 or so for morning practice; sometimes stay until early afternoon if he is helping at a JV game
Sunday - leave the house at about 3:30 pm to go to the head coach's house for the weekly meeting to plan for the next week, arrive home sometime in the early evening.

Today is the second day of two-a-day practices and the annual fundraiser "Gold Card" sale so Stu won't be home until 8:30 or 9:00.  I managed to pick the kids up from daycare, rush home to let the dogs out, make a meal, feed our dogs, feed our kids and myself, pack all the kids up to rush to my mom's to feed her dog and let her out since my mom's out of town until Friday, get the kids back home and bathed, while they were watching TV and having a snack, I scooped dog poop in the backyard and watered the vegetable garden, came in and looked at Facebook for 2 minutes, helped the kids brush their teeth, read them stories, tucked them into bed, said prayers, was reminded by Max about his antibiotics and eyedrops, administered said medication, sang songs to everyone, and then started a load of laundry before plopping down to blog a little.  Whew. 

Even with all that activity, I am feeling really good!  I have got things under control.  I was smiling to myself thinking about football season two years ago when Adam was only about 4 months old.  I can remember several nights when I'd have Max and Ryann in the tub together and Adam was wailing so I'd drag his bouncy chair into the bathroom, be kneeling on the floor washing the older two with one leg cocked out at a crazy angle - bouncing Adam's chair for all I was worth, trying to soothe him.  Now THAT was craziness.

Tonight, I even got Max to sit down and read a book to Adam while I gave Ryann a bath.  Prior to that, they were wrestling, squealing, and tickling at a fever pitch.  I told them it was "settle down time" and asked Max to read to Adam so they would sit and be quiet.  I may be biased but I think my oldest may be a genius.  He's constantly telling us how much he loves science and math and reading and that one of his favorite channels is "Nat Geo".  Here is my little guy (NOT even in Kindergarten yet) reading at what I think is probably more like a first grade level.

Comments

Popular Posts