Sometimes I feel like a failure

There are plenty of mothers out there who have 3, 4, or even more children and I feel like a lot of them are probably stay at home moms.  Because it's practically crazy to have three or more children in daycare; I'm talkin' money, people.  So I am really hard on myself when I get frustrated with my 3 when I'm not even home all the time with them.  Saturday was one of those days when I was over my frustration limit.  The kids had given me a hard time all Friday night and since it's Friday Night Lights season, it was just me on duty.  When Saturday started out a little rough, I lost it.  I called my mom bawling saying that I had to run an errand at the mall and do the grocery shopping for the week and I absolutely needed a partner or I would never make it through and retain my sanity.  Thank goodness Grammie was game - she leaped out of bed, took a quick shower and looked super cute when I got there to pick her up.  Having her with us made what was looking to be a hellish experience, actually kind of fun!  I ran this scenario past a mom-friend at work and she assured me that these fictional mothers I imagine are out there who never lose their cool and drag their passel of kids around everywhere are definitely just in my head.  That made me feel better.  I'm also continuing to try to remind myself that my kids' crazy behaviors do not necessarily mean they are going to be snotty brats or selfish food hoarders or physically rough or crybaby adults.  They're just little kids and I need to stop overanalyzing and projecting ahead regarding every weird phase they go through.

Funny interaction of the day, as reported to me by Deanna:

Max: "I decided I do love my Dad"
Deanna: "Oh yes, we love our mommies and daddies"
Max: "I love my Daddy because he gets me free popcorn at the beer store"
Deanna exits stage left so she can bend over in mirth in hiding.

Sweet interaction of the day:
Mom: "Max, I talked to your teacher today and she said you're doing really well in school so far.  She noticed that you're reading everything around the room!"
Ryann: "Oh Maxie!  Great job reading, buddy!!"

I've been feeling a little bad for Max, having to share a room with his little brother, lately.  Adam's interest in reading books in his crib before falling asleep has only grown.  He now demands Max turn on the clip-on reading lamp attached to Max's bed to shed enough light for Adam to read by.  I snuck quietly in to their room the other night and heard this:
Adam: "Massie, turn on light!"
Max: "No buddy, it's lights out time.  I've got school tomorrow"
Adam: "I telling Mommy! Turn on LIGHT"
Max: "It's lights out time!"

Comments

Popular Posts