Max's First Day of Kindergarten

This day can best be summed up as a smashing success!  Although Max told me last night, when I was tucking him in to bed, that he didn't want to go to Kindergarten anymore because he was scared, he showed nary an ounce of fear this morning. Nope, instead, he merrily marched down the road with me, his Grammie, his Grandma Stu, and his little siblings surrounding him in a family pack on our way to his bus stop at the end of Deanna's driveway.


Unexpectedly, Daddy showed up at the last minute to see him off!  So exciting because we didn't think he'd be able to leave school in the middle of the day.


When the bus arrived, Max marched right on and pivoted for his photo op as I'd coached him.  Then, I watched as he went and stood, surveying the available seats for what seemed like an eternity before he chose one and took his seat.  And he was off!

And I only teared up a tiny bit after those folding, yellow doors closed and the bus slid away.  I didn't have that nauseous anxiety while he was gone, just a tiny nagging nervousness that things weren't going as perfectly as we all hoped.  But from what Max shared with me when he arrived home, after being walked down from Deanna's house by Deanna and her youngest daughter, Olyvia, his day went swimmingly!  He exuberantly shared that his job this week is "Teacher's Helper" but that the best job is "Meteorologist" because you get to move things around on that "big, white board" (the Smart Board in their classroom).  He likes the girl, Emily, who sits at his table just fine and he made friends with a boy named Ryan (funny for him since his sister's name is Ryann).  He told me that all the kids got to help make up rules for the classroom and that he came up with, "Don't talk with your mouth full" and then he laughingly told me he accidentally broke his own rule during snack time.  I asked if his teacher, Ella, said to him, "Max!  You broke your own rule." and he said she didn't even notice.  I am so happy for him and proud that he was such a brave boy, game for anything, I could just cry (again).

Comments

What adorable pics!! I am very glad his first day went so well. :) I was thinking about you guys!

Popular Posts