I'll call this my "gawkward" phase

My mom babysat for us last night and Stu and I went to a great restaurant my mom and her boyfriend recommended.  It is called "Rudy's Red Eye Grill".  We went to the one in White Bear and had great food, nummy cocktails, and a really fun time.  So fun, in fact, that I ended up sleeping in this morning until nearly 8:00 (what a great husband!).  Then the fun at home began.  I crawled out of bed and had some breakfast, fed the dogs, and played a new game (that Grammie had brought the night before) with the kids.  Stu went for a run.  When he returned, he asked, "Did you see the pictures your mom left for you?"  I had no idea what he was talking about and he suggested I look at the fridge to see the pictures she'd magneted to it.  What I saw, I nearly couldn't believe.  I snatched the pictures down and, laughing out loud, asked the kids, "Does this look like Mommy?"  Ryann was so beyond belief she couldn't even answer and Max mustered a "Not really very much...". 

I honest-to-goodness don't remember ever looking like this.  You would think that had I ever really looked like this in real life, I would have looked in the mirror and immediately done something about it.  After thinking about this some today, I think that humans are built with some sort of internal blinders that come on from the time you're about 12 until you're about 15, otherwise you'd be tempted to throw yourself from the nearest train trestle.  Our poor little miraculous bodies go through this strange and scary morphing time where you are half child and half adult and the result is a strange looking alien husk of yourself.  Parents must get the blinders, too, because my mom admits she doesn't remember me going through such a hideous phase (not her words; mine).  Brace yourselves for the following images.  My gawkward phase was NOT pretty.

Remember those blinders I believe are innate?  So is some sort of cocky attitude that saves you from serious self-hatred during this phase
The worst part of the "gawkward" phase is that during that time period, many of us have braces, making us appear even more non-human
I don't remember ever looking like this but I can remember choosing outfits like this.  I thought my choices were really funky, fresh, and festive!




Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
hahahaha!!! Did I have a phase like that?? I think I just turned from CUTE to ugly... lol

Popular Posts