Saturday Success!

I completed my 5K this morning in 38 minutes and 30 seconds. I did slow down to a fast walk several times but I jogged most of the 3.1 miles, I'm proud to say (and I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow)! What a BEAUTIFUL morning for a walk/run. On my way to the run at about 8:30 this morning, there was the most amazing, dense ground fog in the small valleys of Lexington Avenue in Shoreview. This run helped to raise money for a wonderful cause. A coworker, Ken Rome, passed away a little over a year ago from a heart attack. He had something called vulnerable plaque that, as I understand, is hard to detect. A physician is currently conducting research on a scan that will detect this vulnerable plaque before it breaks away and causes a heart attack.


Another successful part of the day - though Ryann has a frustrating habit of asking to sign up for an activity and then quickly deciding she actually would rather not participate and, in fact, this summer spent three weeks worth of her 8 week gymnastics class sitting and having hysterics rather than participating, I signed her up for dance class this fall upon her request (and, I must admit, a big desire on my part to have her in dance). She attended her first class last Saturday and by all accounts, it seemed to be a rousing success. Until, during lunch afterwards she announced she didn't want to do dance anymore because it was "too long". I feared more hysterical crying and refusal to participate this Saturday but we paid for 1 month so 1 month she will attend. I called for reinforcements. I contacted Grammie and asked her to meet us at dance when she got done with work this morning. My hope was that having Grammie come to watch her dance would excite Ryann enough that she wouldn't absolutely refuse to participate. The plan seemed to work like a charm! When the teacher opened the door and welcomed the little girls in, Ryann did turn on the waterworks and clung to my leg but I gently but firmly pushed her through the door and said, "Have fun! I'll be right out here" and shut the door. She cried for maybe 30 seconds while I asked my mom (Grammie), who was peeking through the window in the door, "Is she still crying? Is she participating? Is she smiling?" Eventually, she stopped crying altogether and seemed to enjoy herself. She especially loved the few moments while they played "Freeze Dance". I was peeking through the window for part of this and I must say, she is one heck of a Freeze Dancer. Now, we have one more week and then I would have to pay the next month's tuition...what to do, what to do? I will see how she does next Saturday and then determine whether we'll sign her up for the next month or not.


Here's a picture of Ryann before her first dance class last week:






































Just kidding!! Totally kidding. That was Ryann's "Fair-Do" she had done at the Minnesota State Fair this year. Here's the real picture of her before her dance class:



Comments

Popular Posts