Brag Alert! Consider yourself warned.

I just might have the sweetest, most tender-hearted kids ever. Especially Ryann. After a long, grueling evening of being picked up from daycare, rushed to piano lessons, dragged to Blaine to pick up her brothers from the wrestling match Stu unexpectedly had to work tonight, schlepped through the McDonald's drive thru, made to take a shower at the time she'd normally be tucked into bed, the most important thing on her mind was checking on a sick classmate.

I was trying to herd the kids into the living room to read a quick story before brushing teeth and getting into bed and Ryann was frantically digging through the cupboard where I keep their school stuff, muttering something about "Hafta call Ava. She fell off the glider swing yesterday and threw up. She wasn't in class today. Mom, where's my class phone book?!" I got on my knees and dug through the paperwork to find her class directory. Ryann seemed very serious and intent so I looked up Ava's number and dialed. A man answered. I asked if it was Karl (handy-dandy things, these class phone books). He said yes and I told him it might sound a little strange but that my daughter was in his daughter's class in school and wanted to check on her. He explained Ava had fallen off a piece of equipment on the playground and then got so upset, she threw up. The school nurse asked them to keep her home for a day just in case she had the stomach flu, but she was fine. I asked if Ava could be put on the phone. She got on and I handed the phone to Ryann. I had to remind her to say "hi" but then could hear Ava chattering on the other line. I couldn't make out what she was saying but when things got quiet, I suggested to Ryann she might want to say "I'm glad you're ok". She did and I heard a little voice say Bye on the other end. Ryann said Bye and handed me the phone. I hung up and Ryann let out a sigh of relief.

"Whew! I'll tell all the classmates tomorrow that she's ok and they can touch her and she's not sick or injured". I told Ryann I thought it was very sweet of her to call and check on her friend and she responded, "I just want to make sure everyone's ok". More of Mommy's genes expressing themselves.

I wonder if I should have seized that as a teaching moment to explain to her that it was sweet but she doesn't need to make sure EVERYONE is ok all the time?? Oh well....I'm sure there will be more opportunities.

On another note, Max asked me to spell "I cup" for him tonight. I politely declined to fall for his joke. Then he asked me if I knew how to spell Mississippi. I said yes, of course. He said, "ok, spell it". I dutifully spelled M-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-i". "Nope!!!", Max crowed, "i-t". Then the ding-dong as he's been calling himself and others lately laughed like a loon.

Comments

Grammie Pammie said…
He got the "ding dong" thing from me! ROFL!!! Those kids are so precious..........
Ryann is such a sweetie pie!!!

Popular Posts