One farsighted, one nearsighted, all hilarious, and a super long post

Ok, before more eyesight news, I'm going to start with the saved-up-snippets funny stuff first.  And it was all Adam cracking me the heck up this morning.

1. Early this morning, before I'd had a chance to take a shower, much less put some make-up on, Adam crawled into my lap to snuggle.  He kissed me on my left cheek, drew back and made to kiss me on my right cheek too.  Now, one would think that after breaking out for nearly 16 years I could be done with it pretty soon but I still break out on my chin, jaw, cheeks, and back sometimes (maybe it means my skin is as youthful as a teenagers still).  I currently have a few small pimples and healing areas on my right cheek.  Adam said to me, "I can't kiss you anymore; you've had too many kisses".  I kind of thought I knew what he was thinking but I wanted to hear what he was going to say so I asked, "Why?!"  He answered, "Youw cheek is fuw of polk-o dots!"

2. All three kids were watching me look at pictures my "friends" had posted on Facebook this morning.  Sometimes I show them the short video clips I've taken of them and saved to www.photobucket.com.  Adam assumed that's kind of what we were doing so asked, "Can we see the movie of Max tooting in the tub?  Cuz that one's hiwawious!"

3. Stu took all three kids grocery shopping with him this morning and, as usual, they were all in different phases of readying themselves to get out the door and into the vehicle.  As usual, Ryann was ready first and asked if she could go outside into the front yard.  Adam was ready very shortly thereafter and leaned down into my face and said, "I can supuvize hew (I can supervise her), Mom!"  We often tell Adam that he cannot go outside alone because he needs someone to supervise him while outside :)

On to our continuing medical drama over here:

Since Adam's cataracts were deemed to be genetic, we'd made an appointment for Max and Ryann to have a detailed, dilated exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist to make certain they didn't have any cataracts or any other weirdness going on with their eyes.  Max went first and I watched him read the eye chart with no problem at all.  Ryann was up next and I watched her struggle and my heart sank.  She had just responded, the night before, when I told her about the eye appointment and that it was to see if she might need glasses, "No!!!  I don't want to wear glasses!  I'll look weird!!"  I could tell that she was having a tougher time reading things with her right eye than her left eye and I start thinking, "Oh no, amblyopia!"  It turned out, I was close.

Max has 20/20 vision right now but his vision is smack dab in the middle of far and near sighted.  I learned that as we grow, our eyes get "taller" too and so Max is likely to become more near sighted as he ages, and he'll likely need glasses eventually too.  Which (I guess??) is a good thing because when I realized Ryann was likely going to need glasses, I took emergency action.  While we waited for their eyes to dilate, I took the two kids out to the optometrist shop portion of the clinic and made it super fun to look at all the frames.  The optometrist was really helpful and opened up the glass cases so Max and Ryann could try on the frames they liked.  Both of them chose their favorites and by the time we saw Dr. S., the actual ophthalmologist, they were both hoping for glasses.  Dr. S. examined Max's eyes and pronounced, "20/20!  Can't argue with that!"  She spent a longer time examining Ryann's eyes and when she said something about the vision in her right eye being a little worse than the left, I asked about amblyopia,  Luckily, Ryann does not have amblyopia.  More learning for me - amblyopia is when there is a marked difference in the vision between the two eyes, even after they've been corrected with corrective lenses.  With glasses, Ryann can see 20/20!  So, as of today, we've got two bespectacled kids in the family:

Max got a new pair of sunglasses because I felt so bad that I'd hyped up glasses and then when he was told he had 20/20 vision and didn't need glasses, he was so upset he cried!

I thought these were sweet pictures of Stu having "tickle time" with the two four-eye-guys while Max took his bath:


To go backwards in the week (a super freakin' busy one!), Max had a Kindergarten picnic/program in the park on Tuesday evening.  I got some sweet shots that night.  Some of Max singing, some of Max not singing, some of Adam running around like a lunatic, holding a stick, and racing straight for Lake Bennett, and then of Stu giving Adam a stern talking-to regarding running like lunatics, holding sticks, headed straight for lakes:



I didn't bring my camera with to Ryann's preschool carnival on Wednesday night, which Ryann, Adam, and I attended while Stu took Max to baseball.  But it was really fun!  Ryann had her face painted, both kids got a sucker and a Mr. Freezie, and there was a hilarious magician there.  I was laughing at him, but I was laughing even harder watching Adam's and Ryann's reactions to him.  Adam was guffawing and at one point, Ryann was beating the ground with her fists she was in such a fit of mirth.  If I get rich one day, I may have to consider hiring him for a kids birthday party.

After taking Ryann to choose her new glasses today, the seemingly ever-present-around-here-lately-rain cleared up and the sun came out.  I ran, seriously RAN to get the veggie garden planted.  A good thing too because storms blew in shortly thereafter.

I moved the rhubarb and green onion plants to this new raised bed Stu made for me.  I added strawberry plants, a red bell pepper plant, two different types of tomatoes, cilantro, and Max and I planted radish, spinach, and carrot seeds.  Something was coming up in the old raised bed that shouldn't have been a perennial but I remember it being in the same area and appearing similar to the zucchini I planted last year so I transplanted those two babies and we'll see what they turn into.

Storms blowing in...
Before it started to rain, I took some pictures of my favorite flowering bush in the yard.  This one turned out amazing (if I do say so myself):

Comments

Popular Posts