Thursday Theatrics

A Good Dog:


Stu said an "Adam" word tonight that we haven't heard in such a long time, I'd forgotten about it.  I may have already noted it before but, just in case I haven't - Adam used to call 'water' -  'watty'.

Yesterday, the three kids and I walked down the street to Max's bus stop.  When we were still about three houses away, the big, yellow bus roared around the corner and headed toward us.  Max and Ryann were a ways ahead of Adam and me so they were basically already at the bus stop.  I wanted to be able to say goodbye to Max so I hefted Adam up and started to run.  Adam called out, "Mom!  Mine shoe!" but I just kept running.  I made it in time and set Adam down on Robb and Deanna's lawn (their house is where Max catches the bus every day).  I hugged Max goodbye and when the bus pulled away, I looked down and noticed that Adam had only one of his new "tenn-ees shoes" on.  I looked back the way we'd come and saw his little shoe lying in the grass about three houses away.  Ryann had plunked herself down on the driveway so I took Adam over there and plunked him next to her.  "Stay here for a second, you two", I instructed.  Then I briskly walked back to where the shoe was.  I plucked it out of the grass and speed walked back.  As soon as I got into Robb and Deanna's front yard, I heard, "Hey Sheri!  Over here!"  It was Robb calling out of his office window.  He laughingly told me he watched me march away, looking like a woman with a purpose, and momentarily wondered if I'd had it with my kids and was leaving them.  He quickly noticed I was after the shoe but he and I both had a good laugh about it.  I joked that if I was cashing it all in, it was a good idea to dump the children in their driveway since I know they'd be well cared for.

Tonight, at the dinner table, the kids and I discussed what we should get Daddy for his birthday.  Stu was coaching Track tonight so wasn't there.  I asked the kids for their ideas and Max piped up with (in his mind) practical suggestions such as "a football" or "a football helmet".  Suddenly, in all seriousness Adam exclaimed, "How about a super dooper nood-ew (noodle) mak-ew (maker)?! OR a super dooper soup mak-ew?!!"  I didn't quite know how to respond so I just smiled and nodded.

Ryann and I had another interesting conversation tonight as she toweled off after her bath.  I explained to her (I can't remember how we got on this topic) that when she and her brothers grew up, she'd have two sisters-in-law and her brothers would have one brother-in-law.  She agreed, "Yes, because I'm going to marry a boy."  She thought for a moment and then said, "I hope I get what I want!"  I thought she was talking about wanting certain characteristics in a husband so I asked, "Oh, what do you want?"  She said, "Three girls and one boy...no...three girls and two boys!"  "Oh, that sounds perfect!", I said, "what will you name them?"  She said she wasn't sure yet but "...maybe one of the things they do the most".  I said, "So like if one of your kids jumps a lot, will you name them 'Jumpy'?"  "No", she replied straight-faced, "but you could name a dog that.  I'm pretty sure I saw a movie where the kid named their dog 'Jumpy'."

This morning, Max said he hated school, except for math and art and library day and reading and chocolate milk Fridays and I can't remember what else but I came to the conclusion that he doesn't really hate school.

Comments

Popular Posts