Flash cards

It's complete and total bragging, I admit.  But it's my blog and I will if I want to.  Max is in Kindergarten this year and part of what the curriculum aims to achieve is a mastery of 25 "sight" words by the end of the year.  Max brought home a stack of sight words about 6 weeks into the school year and was to return the stack and get the next one once he could read them all without sounding them out.  Some examples are: "as", "dog", "came", "and".  We flipped through the stack and I believe he may have stumbled on one word.  The next few times through he got them all, so we sent them back and asked for new words.  The scenario repeated and then I got a note from Max's teacher letting us know those were all the cards that were available and we could make our own at home.  As such, Max and I set out to make some flash cards with words that were more challenging for him.  Our first set consisted of:

polish
whisper
science
purity
mountainous
rich
chase
cringe
loop
lotion
exercise (I remember misspelling this word in grade school so wanted to introduce it early!)
examine
battalion
Hannukah (we created this list around the holiday season)
fiction
make
pizza
concrete

I tried to think of a mix of words that might be slightly easy and some that would be more challenging.  Some I hoped he would find interesting.  He mastered that list after a couple weeks (we only practiced an average of 2 times per week).  I made another list:

impossible
nail
battle
sword
plausible
decade
armament
slosh
character
timber
peaceful
floral
congratulate
Bethlehem
anxious
compassion
affluent
create


He still sometimes pronounces anxious "a-noxious" and decade as "dee-cade" and plausible as "possible" but he's doing really well.  As such, even though he hasn't mastered these words yet, so as not to get bored, I created another list more recently:

airplane
prove
strange
creepy
groundhog
precious
calm
pretty
crave
commotion
avian
sailboat
furniture
antique (so cute, the first time he tried this one, he pronounced it "anti-Q"
cellular
Paris
amazing
jungle


Along these same word pronunciation lines, I've been slowly redecorating the boys' room this fall and winter.  At one point, I purchased a box of wall decals that are called "Motifs".  They've been sitting in my bedroom for weeks awaiting the arrival of the boys' bunkbed.  Max came to me several weeks ago and asked, "When can we put up my moffits?"  I could not figure out what in the world he was talking about until he brought the box to me and said, "See Mom?  My moffits??"  Hee hee, close but no cigar on that one.

Comments

Popular Posts