A Day in the Life of a Part-Time Stay-at-Home-Mom

So we had a crazy Wednesday this week.  We've been having wonderful, relaxing Wednesdays for the past few months.  Typically, we are slow to get ready in the morning, have a very early lunch at around 10:00 so that Max can catch the bus at 11:00 for half-day Kindergarten and not be starving, see Max off to school and then Ryann and Adam and I head to the library to play and choose books and movies for about an hour.  Then, home we head so that Adam can take his nap and Ryann and I can play for a little while before Max gets home from school.  Then Max and Ry play for a bit before Ryann's nap.

This Wednesday was not so laid-back which is completely my fault.  Since Max's birthday was quickly approaching and Christmas (we are hosting Christmas Eve and a Christmas morning breakfast at our house this year) is just after that, I felt I needed to take that Wednesday to get some things done.  I also needed to purchase a baby gift for a coworker's baby shower the next day and I'd scheduled hair cut appointments for both boys some time ago.  This Wednesday looked more like this:

I set my alarm for 6:00 so I could be showered and ready before the kids woke up.  I finally made myself get out of bed at around 6:30 and was barely showered and ready when Ryann and Adam were up and ready to eat.  I had to wake Max up at 7:45 so we could get a move on with our morning.  I rushed the kids to get ready to head to Target to get some things purchased.  I knew we weren't going to have time to eat between all the getting things done, getting hairs cut, and catching the bus so I'd decided ahead of time to purchase Lunchables for the kids to eat in the van on the way to the hair salon.  We rushed through Target and were just in time to fly down Snelling Avenue while the kids crammed meat and crackers into their mouths on our way to the salon.  I misjudged how much time it would take to cut two very out-of-control heads of hair (the boys were very well-behaved, it was their outrageous locks that were out-of-control, again my fault for not having their hair cut for so long) and we had to rush to get to our street before the school bus left.  In fact, we practically completed a Hollywood move, fishtailing slightly as I roared into the driveway closest to the bus stop.  Max made it to school and I hurried home to unload the groceries (which included eggs and ice cream) that had been hopefully keeping cool in the van during the trip to the salon (the high temperature that day was about 15 degrees F so I was confident the groceries were fine in the car for an hour or so).  As I drove down the street, I was thinking about another errand I'd been putting off involving heading to the car dealership where we recently purchased our van to pick up the new fancy key they'd cut for us.  I decided, "in for a penny, in for a pound" and told Ryann and Adam they were to stay in the van finishing their Lunchables while I quickly unloaded the groceries and shoved the refrigerated/freezer stuff where it needed to go.  During one of my trips back and forth I heard Ryann calling for me.  I poked my head in the back of the van and she gestured toward Adam stating, "Look what Adam did!"  Adam had squeezed his juice box (conveniently included in the Lunchable) so hard, he'd sprayed the van ceiling and his own fleece-hatted head with liquid.  In complete exasperation, I marched into the house and grabbed some wet wipes.  Luckily a Chrysler Town and Country minivan's ceiling seems to be made with some sort of space-aged material that repels liquid so I think I got the juice all cleaned up.  We made it to the dealership and I was told the new key needed to be programmed.  Thus, Ryann, Adam, and I found ourselves in the children's waiting area of the Chrysler dealership, catching an episode of "Yo, Gabba, Gabba".  Ok, so things just continued along this vein - with things taking longer than I anticipated and the kids being more frustrating that usual (likely due to the deviation from our normal routine) so I'll speed it up here.  Next, my cell phone rang and it was my daycare provider letting me know that her daughter was not riding the bus home from school so Max would not have anyone to walk home from the bus stop with.  We hightailed it home and I tried to get Adam down for a nap.  He was not having it and by that time it was time to meet Max at his stop.  During this time, I realized I'd left the carton of eggs out on the counter while we were at the dealership (oh well, I shoved it in the fridge and we'll hope for the best).  Got Adam up, drove to the stop, got Max, got back home, Adam still fought napping, finally Adam napped, Max and Ryann were all spun up and being loud, Ryann took a late, short nap, etc., etc.  Suffice it to say, it was a crazy, sweat-inducing day which left me wondering just how full-time stay-at-home-moms do this every day!

Comments

Popular Posts