Stewart Family Potty Training; Day 4 and thoughts on attending church

Rags is on a roll.  No accidents in the house today.  I'm almost ready to say he is consistently whining when he wants to go out but...fool me once....  He is staying gated in the kitchen when in the house for a few more days and we will see.

Adam kept his undies dry all morning, even on a trip to Target!  BUT, he did not keep his undies clean.  While I was in the shower and after just having him go pee pee on the potty beforehand in the hopes he'd be good to go while unsupervised, I heard Ryann call, "Mo-om.  Adam pooped in his undies!"  Ew.  We are having to ask him if he has to go still; he's not volunteering this information.  And sometimes, we don't ask him, just tell him it's a time when he needs to go and he's starting to throw fits about it.  Max went through this too, just before he became 100% trained so I'm going to stick with it.  I have to fight back laughter because I've been putting Adam on the potty facing the tank as he's more stable that way.  When he is ticked about having to sit on the potty, he throws back his head so that he's looking right at me and bellows, "NO PEE PEE ON THE POTTY!"  But, each time he's done this, I've calmed him down and gotten him to go.

On a totally different note, I've been thinking about a discussion I was having with family members recently.  I jokingly told a family member that I thought they needed to start going to church on Sunday.  This family member was offended and another family member became offended on their behalf stating, "You don't need to sit in a building each Sunday to be a good person" or something like that.  So, I've been thinking about this and wondering why, if you don't have to sit in a building each Sunday, I feel it's so important.  Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth.  For me, I do need to sit in a building each Sunday.  I am a dyed in the wool sinner.  I wish it wasn't so, but I am.  So are we all, in my experience.  I am also a firm believer that Jesus died on the cross to absolve me of said sins.  I want to have a good, close relationship with God.  I want to keep learning and pondering about theology.  I want to be a good person and be around good people.  Left to my own devices, I don't do these things.  When I was in high school and college and early in my marriage when I didn't go to church on Sunday very often, I didn't think about God much.  I did what pleased me and said my prayers every night, asking for forgiveness and guidance sometimes but that was about it for my relationship with God and my faith.  I, personally, need a specified time each week to center myself and connect with God, my faith, and others of my faith.  Having "attend church" on the weekly family calendar forces me to take the time to stop and recharge in the most healthy and helpful way I can.  I am learning quickly, in these last few years, that I am not strong enough on my own to be the best person, mother, friend, worker, wife, dog-mom, etc. I can be.  I need God's help.  If I didn't take the time each week to attend church on Sunday, I would be lazy.  I would try to live my life all on my own.  I would forget to do much of any thinking about God, other than saying a prayer now and then.  Maybe those who don't feel the need to go to church on Sunday have a firmer resolve than I, but for me - I need that kick in the pants each week.

Comments

Popular Posts