Embracing my Fuddy-Duddiness

One of my best buddies turned 30 this week and Stu and I were invited out for a little surprise night out on the town with her, her husband, and some other friends. I spent the entire week gloriously anticipating this freedom. My friend and her husband live one street over and a few houses down from us so we'd hired our favorite babysitter and were going to walk down there and be driven around by my friend's brother-in-law in a rented van. How delicious! Both Stu and I could indulge and not have to worry about driving?! That's something that hasn't happened in many a year.

What I didn't realize until too late is that, apparently, I am too old now for this kind of foolish behavior. Beginning the moment we shut the door on our kids and the babysitter and started ambling down the road towards our friend's house, my excitement vanished and was replaced by stomach-twisting anxiety. All I could think was, what if there's an emergency and we have to ask the entire group to leave so we can be driven home? I relaxed a little after a glass of pre-dinner champagne and then a glass of wine during dinner. I was having a grand old time for a few hours, especially after I texted the babysitter and she assured me the kids were wonderful and were all asleep in their beds. At about 11:30, I hit the wall. I put on a brave face and never complained (out loud...Stu and I texted each other a couple times assuring each other that we were both old, tired wimps) and made it until 2:00 a.m. Then, my friend's brother-in-law came to pick us up and bring us home. I was so eager to be in my bed that I made Stu RUN home with me.

Yep, it's official. I am an old FUDDY DUDDY!

Comments

Dude, I would not have been able to hang past midnight. You are a ROCK STAR. Did you have fun? :)
Nikki and Bryan said…
did you literally run? lol

Popular Posts