To be filed under "My Soap Opera Life"

After a rough week and a half, I told Stu I really needed to get out for some personal "breathe" time.  I went to Rosedale Mall on Saturday night and shopped for over two hours.  I was looking for a new pair of jeans and maybe some new shoes and ended up with two camisoles.  As I was exiting the mall, I heard a hubbub that I have heard a few times in my life.  After graduating from high school, I didn't think I'd ever hear it again: the sound of a fight breaking out.  I was on the first floor of the mall and just above me, near the entrance to Borders, I heard young men start to yell and could see people running toward the melee.  I could hear the sounds of inanimate objects crashing (sounded to me like the plastic advertisement signs that stores place out front were being clattered on the ground) and what I know to be the sound of flesh smacking flesh; I thought likely fists meeting faces.  Turns out I was hearing massage chairs being used as battering rams, someone's head being bashed against a cement pillar, and people being stabbed!  I thought about running up the stairs to see if I could help but then decided that it would be safer for me to just leave.  As I walked outside, I saw a fire truck pulling in and saw an EMT jogging across the parking lot.  I honestly just thought it was some young boys punching each other and throwing crap around.  I had no idea until I saw the news tonight how serious it was.  Thank God I didn't go up there and try to be a hero.

Comments

Chris said…
Wow. I don't really know what else to say!

I'm glad to see you're okay.
Nikki and Bryan said…
did they say what the fight was about? Was it gang related or something? move to Quincy.. we don't have mall stabbings here! hehe

Popular Posts