"You're Gonna Miss This"

When I hear that country song playing on the radio, I try to realign myself.  I give myself some good positive self-talk about how even though it can be rough raising three kids so closely spaced in age and currently all so young, that I am going to MISS this.  Sometimes, though, in the heat of the moment I think, "Yeah, this can SO be over now.  I'm ready for some other stage now."  Tonight, I am able to fondly think, "I am SO going to miss this."  My sister, Nikki, and her husband, Bryan, are in town.  The two of them came over to hang out this morning.  We all had so much simple fun, just hanging out, chatting, watching "Phineas and Ferb", playing games, eating snacks.  And most of that time, I was in my jammies and robe because I hadn't had time to shower or prepare for the day yet (which I didn't mind in the least; my sister and her hubs are the most laid back people you'll ever know). 

Tonight, we had plans to meet back up again with my Nikki and Bryan, my mom, and my dad at a restaurant.  For 45 minutes prior to our leaving, Adam had a complete "lost his mind" two-year-old hissy fit.  I was stressing a little wondering if we should just stay home, if we should try to call in a last minute baby sitter, something!  Stu offered to stay home with Adam but I really did not want that.  I'd stopped at the dollar store this afternoon to pick up a card for my sister and while there found some cute little things I thought would keep the kids busy at the dinner table while waiting for the food to be served (three little chalkboards with chalk and an eraser, workbooks for the two older kids, and little Elmo board books for Adam).  Though we have lots of workbooks, board books, and crayons at home, the novelty of the dollar store items worked like a charm.  Each of the three kids was thoroughly entertained until dinner was served.  Then, they all ate like champs (well, Ryann didn't eat a whole ton but sat politely while everyone else ate, after she'd finished her french fries).  I am still in awe and glowing with pride due to all three kids' behavior.  They all sat nicely, engaged in polite conversation, laughed, cracked jokes, asked politely to go to the bathroom when they needed to, wished Auntie Nikki a Happy Birthday, and sang sweetly to her.  It was a fantastic night.  I hope Nikki had as great a time as we did :)

Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
I definitely did!! I had a great time and the kids really were great!! I can't wait to come back! =o)

Popular Posts