School agers are so.much.fun

When I was in college, I worked for the YMCA at their school age after school program and I mostly enjoyed my job.  I loved my coworkers and was excited to go to work each day (well, the before-school hours meant I had to be at work at about 6:00 am so that was not super fun) but sometimes the kids just wore me out with their constant requests to play Mancala and make believe.  So I wasn't sure how it would be with school aged kids of my own.  I am finding that I LOVE this age.  My kiddos are still pretty young - 11, 9, and 7 but they are already starting to show glimpses of the young adults they will become.  They are full of silliness and jokes and sass and opinions and stubbornness and plans for the future and emotions and....hormones.  

Recently, Stu and I went on a date and Ryann asked us if after dinner at Olive Garden, we'd "make out" in the back of the car.  Then she laughed like a loon.  Stu suggested we could just make out in the front of the car, there'd be no need to move to the back.  Ha!

We've been fielding questions about how old Stu and I were when we had our first boyfriend/girlfriend so we talked about the subject a little at the dinner table tonight.  We informed the kids that Stu and I will decide on a certain age the kids will need to reach before they are able to call their opposite sex friends "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" and spend time with them outside of school.  And that when that time came, we'd have a discussion with them about what is responsible and respectful in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.  And that if we find out they've begun a boy/girlfriend relationship prior to reaching the agreed-upon age and before discussing it with Stu and I, there would be consequences.  Max asked, "Hypothetically speaking, if we are spending time with someone at school, is that an issue?"  It really seemed like a hypothetical question so I don't think he's spending time with anyone at school but he's more tight lipped than I was at his age, so I'm not 100% sure....I don't see any "real" boyfriend/girlfriend action happening for another few years but I hope laying the groundwork now will be helpful.

I'm hoping that the fun we have together as a family and my constant broaching of uncomfortable subjects to try to make those subjects the norm will result in teenagers who still enjoy Stu and I as parents and who feel comfortable talking to us about the tough stuff.  I hope that the teenage years continue to be as fun as the school age years have so far been.

Here's a glimpse of the craziness that is almost constantly happening around here (this is my idea of a wild and fun Saturday night!):


Comments

Popular Posts