I'm a WONDERFUL MOM (Parent) Wednesday!

I missed "I'm a GOOD Mom Monday" so we're shooting for Wonderful Wednesday instead.

Yesterday, Stu had conferences for the second evening in a row.  That meant I was on for pick up, dinner, homework, piano practice, showers, reading, and bedtime routines all by myself for the second day in a row (once again, I have no idea how single parents do this, day in and day out!).  It all began when I picked the kids up from daycare and one of them started to have a fit.  They continued to have a fit and I continued to calmly give consequences until said child had written 40 sentences, spent time in their room, and ultimately ended up with a spanking because they WOULD NOT back down.  In addition, said child decided that because they were so mad (this was pre-spanking), they were refusing dinner that night.  I calmly (I was really proud of myself for staying calm the whole time - even during the spanking) suggested to the child that they might be pretty hungry if they chose to eat nothing for dinner.  Said child continued to refuse dinner.  I asked one final time whether they were sure and then I threw it in the garbage.  Finally, after the spanking and completion of the final 20 written sentences, the child had calmed down and was acting like a rational being.  So I made said child half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for their before bedtime snack.  And once again, we ended the night on a good note with 'I love yous' all around.  Whew!

Please share in the comments of the blog, and not in the comments on Facebook because I have my blog printed approximately once a year and I include comments in the printing.  Please share a shining moment as a GOOD, WONDERFUL parent in the past week!  I know we've likely all had moments we regret but let's celebrate the good parts together :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Sheri, I think it's soooo great that you are doing this! I am trying to emphasize with my kiddos that they need to be gentle with themselves, i.e. not expecting to be perfect, realizing that making mistakes is a BIG part of learning, etc.
But then I was talking to my sister and telling her how I had blown it that day in one way or another and she pointed out that I wasn't being very gracious with myself, so that wasn't a great model for my kiddos.
So this week, I decided to model that behavior more for my kiddos. And I was able to get one of my girls to realize that just because she doesn't get ALL her math problems right every day, it doesn't mean she is "dumb" at math. I told her that I was proud of her for realizing that and why it finally clicked and she said, "Because you told me so." A shining momma moment!

Popular Posts