Snippets of my life

Found: A small, nearly insignificant day in my life


Maybe this is getting a little deep, but sometimes I think about all the experiences I have in life that are gone.  Each of us who have the blessing of all five senses see, hear, feel, touch, and taste thousands of things a year but we remember only a small fraction of them.  When I was an adolescent, I dreamed of inventing a camera that worked through your eyes, so that when you were looking at something really beautiful, you could press a shutter release button and the exact image you were gazing upon at that moment would be captured forever.  There are times when I experience something that I think, "Wow.  This is a moment but I wonder if it will be one of those moments that will stick with me or if it will be one of those that doesn't end up getting stored in my long-term memory and will be lost for good?"  This is one of the reasons I maintain this blog.  Once already, I've published my blog posts and photos in a hardbound book.  I love the thought of our family snuggling up by a cozy fire someday when Stu and I are old, maybe we'll be grandparents, and reading through my old blog posts and reminiscing about when the kids were little.
Back to my found Post-it note....I reached into my jacket pocket this morning while standing in Deanna's entryway, dropping off the kids before work.  I felt this piece of paper and pulled it out and as I read the notes I'd jotted, an entire day came flooding back to my mind.  It was a day I'd pretty much forgotten.  And it feels like it was forever ago but based on the clues hidden in my notes to myself, I know it was in early June.  I needed to go to Target that day to get Gatorade because it was going to be 105 degrees but Max's baseball team was still planning on practicing.  I also wanted to pick up one of those oscillating sprinklers because Deanna'd told me the day before that she had theirs out for the kids to run through (it was a hot week that week) and one of the kids (Max, I think) had accidentally jumped on the sprinkler and broken it.  I recall now that the only color they had was this mauvy-pinkish so I bought it but told Deanna she could exchange or return it if she wanted.  She didn't even want to take it from me because she felt bad I'd bought a new one but I made her take it, telling her it only cost like seven bucks, plus my offspring had broken theirs!  Both Brayden's (Deanna's oldest son) birthday and Father's Day were coming up so I wanted to purchase cards.  And June 15th must not have passed yet because my note was reminding me to get a card for Stu for our 9 year wedding anniversary and also that the traditional gift for 9 years was "leather".  Too bad I didn't make a note about what I ended up getting Stu for our anniversary because even though it was only a few months ago, I can't for the life of me recall what I got him.  I remember considering getting him a fancy cell phone but they were too expensive.  One other strange thing about this note - it was in my leather jacket...why was I wearing a leather jacket during the week when the temperatures were in the 100's???  I can't document every second of my life and I'll never remember every second but hopefully between what little bit of decent memory I have, and this blog, I'll remember the really important stuff.

Comments

Grammie Pammie said…
So why were you wearing a leather jacket?? Weird for sure LOL!!!

Popular Posts