Vacation at Big Trout Lake

I find that things are harder and harder to remember as I need to remember more and more things for more people.  I need to remember what projects and little to-do's are due at work; I need to remember when Stu is or is not going to be available due to his coaching schedule; I need to remember which child needs to go where, when, and what they'll need to bring; I need to remember what groceries we need; I need to remember where I last set down my watch....sigh....

But I will remember these things from our wonderful, exhilarating week-long vacation this year (because I'm about to write them down).

I will remember how Max ran out on to the dock to talk to Grandpa Tom while I pulled life jackets out of the big duffel bag of "outside" stuff we'd packed.  I heard Max chattering away and then I heard, "Sploosh!  Aaaaah! bubble...bubble"  I was running before I even realized it and I made it across the yard, down the dock, and to Max at the same time as my Dad even though he had been sitting in a chair about 3 feet from Max when he walked backwards off the dock.  My Dad grabbed Max's right arm and I grabbed his left and the two of us hauled him, shaking and chattering back onto the dock.  Poor Max refused to swim, even with a life jacket on, until Stu gently coaxed him slowly into the water over the next few days.


I will also remember how wading in the shallow water at the lake results in Swimmer's Itch; much better to get in the water at the deep end of the dock.

I will remember how much my kids enjoy spending time with their Grandpa.  From the minute he would arise, they would clamor to sit on his lap, hug him, and chat with him about the upcoming day.  They fished and swam with him and helped him do small chores around the cabin.  And each afternoon around 4:00 or 5:00, they all knew it was "Snackies" time on the deck.  Grandpa would pull out peanuts in the shell, pistachios, Cheez-its, and fish crackers and the kids would gather around the little wooden table and two stools on the deck to eat and fool around.


I will remember the joy of not having a small baby to care for anymore and the feeling of increasing ease in loosening the apron strings just a little.  The kids could all be trusted to go out on the deck (the deck, not the dock) by themselves for a few minutes at a time if Stu and/or I were gathering bug spray, sunscreen, towels and other lake paraphernalia.

I will remember the early birthday present Stu gave me when we arrived at the cabin.  A fabulous new lens for my camera that was put to good use over the next few days (I took a total of about 250 photos in 7 days).


I will remember how much Max enjoyed fishing.  That boy fished us out of house and home.  I think we went through at least three containers of nightcrawlers and some corn niblets.  It's all he wanted to do day and night and even Grandpa got tired of baiting his hook and removing caught fish after a while!


I will remember how excited Ryann was when her cousins arrived and how sad she was to see them go.  She loved playing with Tiana, Riley, and Evelyn.  I will also remember her delight and ease riding her first horse and how badly she wanted to bring the free kitten home.  And we might have if it weren't for mine and Stu's terrible allergies.



I will remember what a little fish Adam was.  He took to the lake with no fear.  He once leaped off the end of the dock nearly onto the top of my head when my back was turned.  And at least twice, he needed to be "rescued" by one of us swimming to him or taking the paddleboat because he would swim so far away and was not a good listener when told to come back.



I will remember what fun we had when we had a total of seven adults and six children in the two bedroom, one loft, one extra bedroom attached to the garage cabin.  But also how if I had it to do over again, I would not have allowed myself to become so stressed and crabby because I worried that Grandpa Tom would get stressed with all the busyness of company.  My Dad never said a word so I rushed around cleaning and organizing and placating until I grew weary, for no good reason.  Even if Dad had gotten upset, I will remember that what I should have done was do what I thought was right for my little family and especially for me so that I could have a relaxing and not a vexing vacation.




I will remember taking Zoom Zoom, the boat, to Moonlite Bay and not being served for nearly two hours because the server admittedly forgot to put in our orders.  I will never forget the ride back when Dad let Stu and then Bryan drive Zoom Zoom and Stu aimed for the next set of buoys before he made it through the first set and we bottomed out on a sandbar.  Then, someone bumped the switch for one of the two engines and Stu worried about why the boat wouldn't get up and go and plane out.

I will remember my mistake in leaving my pill box within reach of children and the terrible gut-wrenching worry I felt for two hours, thinking that Adam had eaten a total of about 13 pills, some of which would have negatively impacted him, though Poison Control said he would have been fine and would just have needed to be monitored closely at home.  The whereabouts of those two days worth of pills is still unknown.
I will remember the stress, angst, worry, and loneliness I felt during the two days that Stu had to leave the cabin to return to the Cities to work.  I will remember not to plan a vacation again unless our family can be together the entire time.  It's just not as fun without my best friend and helpmate.
I will remember trying to nudge a flip-flopping sunfish that had come off the hook and was on the dock, towards the water and hearing my Dad tell me, "Don't kick the fish, Sheri!" and watching as simultaneously, just as the fish had leapt in the air, Ryann punted the sucker about 10 feet out into the lake.  And I'll remember the sound of my sister and I bursting into gales of laughter together.

I will remember several trips back and forth to the grocery store to restock food, ice, and drinks.

I will remember constantly refilling our air mattress as time and again, Adam took the plug out.

I will remember the terribly hard game of mini-golf Stu, the kids, Nikki, Bryan, and I played in the sweltering heat.  And how by the end, both Stu and I were completely ticked and the kids were all miserable.

I will remember how the entire week, I kept to my vitamin-taking, walking, meditating, healthy eating schedule as much as I could but also how I relaxed and ate some junk food and drank some beer and how I felt physically and emotionally better than I have in nearly 5 months.

I will remember that I should take a full week off of work every year.  This was the first time I'd done it since college and I hadn't realized what I'd been missing.  It was clearly long overdue.

I will remember the feel of the lake water and up north air on my skin.  I will remember the breathtaking beauty of nature in that area.  Flora, fauna, and....sunsets.

Comments

Nikki and Bryan said…
aww.. . very nice.. very nice! ;o) We enjoyed our time too. I agree a whole week is necessary!
Anonymous said…
Very neat Sheri! I'm surprised we didn't run into each other.
amy pillsbury said…
That was Amy btw, not sure what happened
Sheri said…
I looked for your boat every once in a while, Amy! I described my dad's boat incorrectly - it's not checkered black and red; it's more interlocking wavy black and red near the rear ;)

Popular Posts