Many memories

A funny story involving none of my "Snippets" but worth writing down, for memory's sake:

My mom invited me to come to her new condo a couple weeks ago and soak in her hot tub, sit in the sauna, and paddle in the pool.  Afterward, we returned to her condo where she was excited to show me the new Paula Dean cookware she'd purchased for her new pad.  She chattered away to me as she unpacked the really well packed pots and pans from the cardboard box they came in.  As she pulled the last pan from it's cardboard protection, she gasped, "What's this?!" and reached deep into the box.  Then she started to laugh hilariously as she pulled out.....a worker's badge!  I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo of the badge with my phone but it looked something like this:

complete with that metal clip and everything!  The only part that was in English was the company name.  The rest was all in an Asian language; I've no idea which one.  When I got home, I called my mom and told her she should post a picture of the badge on Facebook and see if we could track down the owner and send it back to him and she said she'd thrown it away!  Poor guy in some country far away lost his badge while industriously packing Paula Deen's cookware.  Too funny.

After dinner tonight, I marveled at how my little Snippets have grown.  I finished eating my dinner and served them up a little ice cream.  As they ate their treat, I filled the sink with soapy water and started to wash the dishes that don't go in the dishwasher.  One by one, the kids finished their desserts and one by one, they each politely asked if they might be excused from the table.  One by one, they each brought their empty bowls and ice cream slobbered spoons to the counter and set them next to the sink.  One by one, they trooped to the bathroom to rinse the ice cream stickiness from their hands and mouth in the bathroom sink.  Even Adam is able to do all these things.  Then, as I continued to finish the chore I'd started, without having to interrupt what I was doing, I instructed Ryann to please go take a shower....and she did.  Yes, both Ryann and Max can now undress, turn on the shower, get in, check the temperature of the water, lather their body (a momma just crosses her fingers and says a little prayer that they're actually getting clean), wash (and in Ryann's case, condition) their hair, turn off the shower, get out, dry off with a towel, and put on their pajamas.  Now this may not sound like that big of a deal to some but for me, it's a MIRACLE.  This means that I have about 25 minutes back in my life that I can spend however I want.  I guess tonight, I wanted to wash dishes but whatever.

Remember, I told you that Adam broke his glasses' frames almost immediately upon arriving in Quincy, IL to visit my sister and brother-in-law?  Well, the day we returned from Quincy, Stu took Adam to LensCrafters to have the frames replaced.  Unfortunately, they did not have the exact same frame in stock but they did have the same frame in a different color.  Stu called home to ask if I was ok with a "brownish" color instead of the silver ones he used to have.  Since it was a quick, cheap fix, I gave my blessing.  When they arrived home, I was pleasantly surprised!  We all agree that Adam's new frames look even better on him than his old ones.  I guess he was meant to break those old ones.  I mean, he'd worn them for nearly three months!  It was time for a new style anyway.  Who wears the same old frames for more than a couple months, right?!  (sarcasm)  But seriously, don't you think they're cute and doesn't he look handsome?

This is the best close up shot I currently have of Adam's new frames.  His lenses are a little fogged up from the warm bathwater.
Get ready for loads more photos coming soon.  We leave for my dad's cabin on Big Trout Lake on the Whitefish Chain very soon!  The kids are so excited, they can hardly stand it.  This morning, I listened to Max tell the babysitter, just before I left for work, "Last year, I fished off the dock but THIS year, I'm going to do some deep sea fishing.....or should I say deep lake fishing!?"  And then he cracked up laughing.

Also before I left for work this morning, I was in the shower when I heard the pitter-patter of little feet.  Stu had already left for football so I asked, "Who's up?"  A little voice answered, "It's me!"  Bad mom that I apparently am, I couldn't distinguish who "me" was so I asked, "Which 'me'?" and Ryann answered, "It's me, Ryann....uh-oh Mom, I think I have pinkeye."  She must have been checking herself out in the mirror (as she's wont to do).  She has had a little bloodshot area in her eye for a couple of days now so I called out to her that I'd check it out when I got out of the shower.  Being the big girl that she is, she was already sitting at the table eating her cereal when I emerged from the bathroom.  I checked out her eye and told her I didn't think it looked any worse and since there was no goop, was not likely pinkeye.  I'm thinking she either got something in her eye and it got scratched or she has allergies.  I was brushing my teeth as I checked her out.  Being the multitasking Mom I am, I wandered to the garage to throw something away while brushing.  As I reentered the house, Ryann turned from the table, looked at me, winked and said, "Hey Mom....let's just keep an eye on it...get it!?  Keep an EYE on it?!" I tried to suppress my mirth so as not to drool toothpaste spit on the kitchen floor.  And then she cracked up laughing.

So Adam's not quite to the point of manning his owner shower process yet so I was in the bathroom with him this evening as he disrobed in preparation to be cleaned.  As he shed each layer, he announced, "I'm underwear boy!" which sounds more like "I'm undooweyoo boy!", and then "I'm naked boy!"  As he hauled his little body onto the toilet, he crowed, "I'm tooting boy!" and then "I'm pee-pee boy!  I'm going wots and wots of pee-pee!"  And then he cracked up laughing.

Have I said before I'm constantly cracking up laughing around here?

Comments

Popular Posts