Confessions of a normal mom and wife

1. I'm so excited that my eldest has been dressing himself this school year (Kindergarten), that I've been turning a blind eye to the crazily mismatched items he's been wearing to school for the last five months.  If it's really, really terrible, I tell him that what he's chosen really clashes but if he is insistent that he wants to wear the outfit, I just let it go.

2.  Similarly, my middle child, in her second year of preschool, has been choosing her own clothes for months (probably longer than her older brother).  She is pretty good about matching but she loves (really, really loves) dresses (only certain dresses) and a certain pair of tights.  She started attending a new preschool at the beginning of January and I think she's probably rotated between about 5 different outfits for the last five weeks.  And those tights are usually worn at least two or three times a week - as soon as they come through the laundry, she puts them on again.

3. I have never shoveled or snow-blowed my own driveway (since I've been married) and I've mowed the lawn maybe a handful of times.

4. I love to play board games, card games, reading books, watching movies, and teaching my kids new things.  But I really do NOT enjoy playing make believe, dress up, Barbie's, etc.  As such, I've started a plan to train my Snippets to play on their own most of the time.  When I look back (very fondly) on my own childhood - I do not ever recall either of my parents getting down on the floor and playing make believe with me.  I played with my sister or cousins or friends in the neighborhood.  The plan is working pretty well.  When the kids ask to play with me - it's now usually a request to read a book or play chess or checkers or another board game instead of "Will you play 'Kitty' with me?"  "Will you play 'Baby' with me?" "Will you play 'Army Guys' with me?".

5. I am running out of ideas for what to give my kids for lunch so I rotate through grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, meat and cheese and crackers, corn dogs, mini corn dogs, chicken nuggets, chicken strips, and popcorn chicken for lunches.  Those are the main dishes - I give them veggies, fruit, and yogurt as sides everyday.  Or sometimes Cheez-its or Cheetos along with the fruit and/or veggies.

6. I rarely get cash for myself from the bank.  Instead, I use my check card or wait for my husband to give me some cash.

7. My preschool-aged daughter has been wearing kiddie makeup (that she received from her grandma as a Christmas gift this year) a few times a week for the past month and I don't mind.  I thought I'd never let my daughter wear any makeup at all until she was at least 12 or 13 (at the youngest).

8. My husband is my best friend and I'd rather spend time with him than with anyone else.  If I haven't seen much of him due to busy schedules in a while and I have the choice between doing something with a friend or family member and spending time with Stu - I choose Stu.

Comments

Popular Posts