No Fun Mommy

Man, it stinks to be sick. 

And I'm going to blame my feeling like death warmed over on my crabbiness today and the fact that I committed a cardinal sin of parenting.  I yelled at Stu about his parenting in front of the kids, and worse yet, I yelled at him in public, in the middle of Target.  In my opinion, Max was just acting like a goofy, happy-go-lucky five-year-old though he does need to learn to control his body and his volume.  Stu was pushing Ryann and Max in one cart and I was pushing Adam in another.  We were shopping for the week's groceries which can be time-consuming and then, ultimately, stressful after the kids get bored and start making scenes in order to entertain themselves.  Anyway, Stu chastised Max for flopping his body around in the cart and being extra silly and I had had enough.  I snapped, "Geez, he's just being a 5 year old!  Does he have to act like an adult all the time?!"  I immediately apologized but I was still steaming.  I try never to think bad of other people's parenting, especially my husband's (unless, of course, the "parenting" seems incredibly extreme in some way) because I am a firm believer that we are all struggling to do the best we can and probably consistently failing and achieving small battles every day.  So I'm also trying to forgive myself and move on.  Honestly though, I haven't had much time to worry about it today.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a headache after caring for a sick Ryann and Adam on Friday and Saturday and then going to the Minnesota State Fair with my sister and dad for a bit yesterday afternoon.  Crud.  I rarely (knock on wood) get sick.  Usually a handful of times all year at the most.  I got up and forged ahead with the day, not feeling too terrible.  But by the time we'd finished our shopping and were headed to the car to unload the groceries, I felt like I could hardly move.  I have terrible body aches.  Maybe it's just me but when I have a cold or flu that causes body aches, when it's really bad, I feel like all the hairs on my body hurt too.  If I get goosebumps, it's painful.  Each time the kids crawled on me or stepped on my feet or bumped into me today, tears sprang to my eyes.  Maybe I'm being melodramatic but I did lie down to take a nap at 1:00 and didn't wake until 4:30 and even then, it was a struggle to make myself get out of bed.  The one thing I'm thankful for is that my nose and sinuses are not stuffed.  That is one of my least favorite ways to be sick.  When my nose and ears are plugged - I feel like I'm trapped inside my own miserable body.

Thankfully, Ryann is definitely on the mend and Adam seems incrementally better.  I am praying that everyone is recovered by Tuesday and that no one else falls ill.  I'll never forget that on Max's first day of preschool, two years ago, he woke up with a fresh cold.  He was feverish and stuffy and his eyes were glassy.  He looked miserable.  But I just couldn't call the school and say that he had to stay home sick on his first ever day of school.  Not when we'd been looking forward to it for so long.  I seem to suffer from those feelings a lot since I nearly took all 3 kids to the Fair yesterday morning, even though Ryann and Adam were sick, because I hated disappointing them after we'd looked forward to going for weeks (all is ok though since Stu and I are going to take the kids to the Fair next weekend).  Anyway, back to two years ago.  I dosed Max up with Tylenol and sent him to his first day of school and he did fine but I have to admit, I felt guilty the whole two hours he was gone (and kept looking at the clock thinking, this is the longest two hours I've ever lived!).  I am worried that he's going to end up catching whatever I and the two littles have and not be recovered by the first day of school, one week from Wednesday.  I also need everyone to get healthy because Max and Ryann have their first days of gymnastics this Tuesday evening, Max and Adam have haircuts scheduled for Wednesday, and Max and Ryann have their Kindergarten and preschool orientations/open houses on Thursday morning, and hopefully we'll attend Stu's first football game of the year on Thursday evening.  All of these things need to be accomplished by me, solo, compliments of living as a football widow.

Comments

Popular Posts