Memorable Memorial Day weekend

Ryann was supposed to dance in two recitals this weekend, one on Saturday at 12:30 and one on Sunday at 12:30.  She has spent months learning her dance.  We have spent months shuttling her to dance classes and shelling out money for classes and tights and shoes and leotards and her costume and tickets for the family to attend her recital.  I lined up a free sitter (my cousin, Brittany) for Adam for a few hours on Saturday so Stu, Max, and I could attend.

And on Friday, Deanna called me to say Ryann was sick and felt like she was going to throw up.  I must admit, I hung up the cell phone and started to cry.  I was so sad that after all this time and effort, she was not going to be able to dance in her recital.  I raced to pick her up, hoping against hope that if she rested up all day Friday, she'd be ready to dance by mid-day the next day.  Things were looking up since she took a good nap and had never actually thrown up.  But after dinner, she did get sick to her stomach.  And then again, at 1:00 the next morning.  But she stopped throwing up after that and didn't look quite so down-and-out sick on Saturday morning so Stu and I just played it cool and acted like we were going to be going to the recital as planned.  Max kept looking at us like we were nuts and saying things like, "Ryann can't dance today!  Just look at her!"  She did look slightly rough around the edges but apparently, it was nothing a little ibuprofen couldn't cure.  I gave her a dose at 10:30 and by 11:15 when I'd put her hair in a bun and it was time to leave to get dressed and put makeup on, she was looking like her usual self.  I was nearly hysterical for the entire show when I realized she was going to have to wait backstage with her classmates and two room moms for over an hour since her group was dancing second to last but when she came on-stage, she grinned like a little starlet and danced her little heart out.  It was a sight to see, I tell ya.  My mom and I both cried.  We got home and Ryann complained about taking a nap but crashed.  When she woke up, her fever had spiked to 102 degrees and she cried while trying to eat dinner, complaining of a terrible sore throat.  She and I left immediately after finishing our Memorial Day barbeque dinner with Stu, Max, and Adam but could not find an urgent care that was open so had to go to the Emergency Room at St. John's.  We waited three hours for the final verdict - she was diagnosed with Coxsackie virus.  Poor thing!  This is a very painful affliction where you get blisters in your throat and mouth.  She was prescribed something called Magic Mouthwash, which she swears does not help a bit. 

Ryann slowly recovered over the weekend.  She did not dance in the recital on Sunday so she could lay low.  Monday night; however, Max suddenly complained of a terrible headache.  I took his temperature and he had a fever of 102 degrees!  I stayed home with him today (Tuesday) and telecommuted.  Adam happened to have a fever on Saturday too (he asked to have his temperature taken when he saw us taking Ryann's) but he never had any other symptoms and seems right as rain now.

Other than the rampant illness in the house (Stu was also quite sick and had no voice at all until Sunday), we had a wonderful stay-at-home Memorial Day weekend.  Ryann's recital was wonderful and we took two beautiful walks through local parks on Sunday and Monday so that we could get out and do something but Ryann could relax (she rode in a stroller).  Adam talked and talked and made funny, expressive faces and generally kept Stu and me in stitches all the long weekend.

On Monday, Max and Ryann were giggling and fooling around while eating lunch (a very common occurrence around here) and Stu and I were talking to each other in the kitchen.  Suddenly Max announced, "Ryann stuck a raisin up her nose and all the way to her bra-ain!"  He was laughing uproariously while he said this and so was Ryann.  Since she was seeming so jolly about it, I didn't even consider that the raisin might still be in her nose.  I assumed he was telling about something in the past tense.  This morning, Stu dropped Ryann and Adam off at daycare.  He called me afterwards and said, "So...Ryann was standing in front of me, facing Deanna and all of a sudden Deanna said "Oh Ryann!" and went racing off.  I assumed Ryann was going to throw up so I looked down at her and saw a big, brown thing hanging out of her nose.  I plucked it out and it was THE RAISIN!"  Deanna thought our daughter had a huge, brown booger coming out of her nose.  I asked Stu if he'd explained to Deanna how the raisin got there and he said he just told her he thought it was from lunch the day before.  Thank goodness the sucker worked its way out!!

Also - all of our vegetables have shown their baby heads in our garden and it's only been one week since we planted the seeds!

Comments

Popular Posts